Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love pancakes. But making a whole batch isn't always convenient. Sure, I can make them all and freeze them for later, but sometimes, you just don't have time to stand over the stove for that long, when all you want is 2 or 3 pancakes for right now. Well, here's the answer! This recipe makes a total of 3 terrific buttermilk pancakes if you use a 1/3 cup measure.
- 1⁄2 cup flour, all purpose
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix egg, buttermilk, and oil, then add to dry ingredients, stirring only until just blended.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure, pour batter onto lightly greased griddle or skillet.
- Turn when bubbles form on top of batter, and continue to cook until second side is golden brown.
- Serve with warm honey or with butter and maple syrup.
Quite good, and very easy. I was able to make them with things I had in the house, with a little alteration. I didn't have wheat germ, so I left it out. I made a buttermilk substitute with nonfat powdered milk (mixed with water to make half a cup), plus 1/2 tsp vinegar. I also only had bread flour, but it worked fine. After mixing it together, the batter looked lumpy, but apparently that's the way it's supposed to look. The pancakes were pretty fluffy.
Thanks for posting this! I substituted unsweetened applesause for the oil and used a 50-50 mixture of all-purpose and whole wheat flour, & they came out good. I also sliced up half of a small banana and added it in...thanks again! : )
This is one off thoose recipe which you can make with eyes still 1/2 shut from sleep. Very quick and easy to put together. The pancakes were light and fluffy. I followed the recipe as is except i subed almond flour for wheatgerm and mild labaan (natural arabic drinking yogurt) for buttermilk we dont get buttermilk or wheatgerm here. I got 5 pancakes, 4,1/3 cup pancakes and 1 smaller 1. :)