1/1 Photo of Buttermilk Pancakes
This makes a delicious light and fluffy pancake--it's like going out for pancake breakfast but better because it's in the comfort of your own home. The best part of this recipe are the many possible variations--wholewheat, buckwheat, cornmeal, bran, and fruit options. Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook 2010.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 2In another bowl use a fork to combine egg, buttermilk, and oil.
- 3Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- 4Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- 5If desired, stir in fruit.
- 6For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter into a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet.
- 7Spread batter, if necessary.
- 8For dollar-sized pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter.
- 9Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown.
- 10Turn over when surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm.
- 11If desired, top with butter, syrup, and additional fruit.
- 12Pancakes: Prepare as directed, except substitute milk for buttermilk, increase baking powder to 1 tablespoon, and omit the baking soda.
- 13Whole Wheat Pancakes: Prepare as directed, except substitute whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour and packed brown sugar for the granulated sugar.
- 14Buckwheat Pancakes: Prepare as directed, except use 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and add 1 cup buckwheat flour.
- 15Cornmeal Pancakes: Prepare as directed, except use 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and add 1/2 cup cornmeal.
- 16Bran Pancakes: Prepare as directed, except use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and add 1/4 cup oat bran, wheat bran, or toasted wheat germ.
- 17Fruit Options: If desired, stir in one of the following fruits into the pancake batter before pouring batter onto griddle: 1/2 cup chopped fresh apple, apricot, peach, nectarine, or pear; 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries; or 1/4 cup chopped dried apple, pear, apricot, raisins, currants, dates, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, or mixed fruit.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Pancakes
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.1
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 16.7 mg
- Sodium 199.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g