Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A sweet and healthy breakfast or tea-time treat. A delicious way to use up berries that are nearly done. The whole wheat flour isn't necessary, but I think it adds a nice flavour.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2⁄3 cup safflower oil or 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen) or 2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen) or 2 cups blackberries (fresh or frozen) or 2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 12 - 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch muffin cups.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Gently fold in the berries. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.
- When filling the muffin cups, trying using two spoons to prevent the batter from dropping outside the cup. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Fantastic muffins, Muffin Head. I used blueberries, and added the zest of one lemon for an extra zing. These are so tasty and they have a moist tender crumb. I like the use of both white and whole wheat flours. I used white whole wheat flour, which has the same nutritional benefits of red whole wheat flour (the usual), but a bit lighter in flavor, color, and texture. Thanks for giving my Monday morning a bright start!
Just made these this morning for DH and his training partners. Instead of whole wheat flour, I used 2 C. all-purpose and added 1/2 C. of grapenuts for texture and flavor. YUMMMMM was the response as they disappeared off the plate! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I'll be making this again!!!!Awesome!