Recipe by MTDavids
This recipe is a long series of trials and errors. The sauce and bread idea came from Paula Deen. The meatloaf itself is a recipe we found in the newspaper years ago. The final result is well worth a try.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork or 1⁄2 lb sausage
- 2⁄3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 slices bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a bread pan and line with bread slices.
- Soak crumbs in milk for 5 minutes and stir in oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, eggs, and worcestershire.
- Add meat, carrot, onion, and mix well.
- Shape into loaf, place in pan, and flatten top.
- Mix sugar, mustard, and ketchup and pour half over loaf.
- Bake 30 minutes, brush with remaining sauce, and bake another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit 15 or 20 minutes.
- Remove from pan, discard bread, slice and serve.