Recipe by Macy&Ryan'sMOM
from Ina Garten, Food Network
Top Review by lauralie41
Wonderful mashed potatoes! DH brought home some nice gold yukon potatoes and I used all but 5 potatoes. Used closer to a cup of buttermilk and loved the tang the potatoes had. Creamy and great tasting! Made and reviewed for Kittencals Vegetarian forum Appetizers and Sides Tag Game.
- 3 lbs boiling potatoes, such as Yukon gold, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 3⁄4-1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil. Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into 1 1/2-inch cubes and add them to the boiling water. Bring the water to a boil again, lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan, making sure it doesn't boil. Set aside until the potatoes are done.
- As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander. Mash potaotes with a potato masher and/or electric mixer. As soon as the potatoes are mashed, stir in the hot milk-and-butter mixture with a whisk or rubber spatula. Add enough buttermilk to make the potatoes creamy.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt and the pepper, to taste, and serve hot.