Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lighter version of the cream laden favorite
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- Place potatoes in large saucepan; add cold water to cover by 1 inch and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes break apart when paring knife is inserted, about 18 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to saucepan set on still-hot burner.
- Using potato masher, mash potatoes until a few small lumps remain. Gently mix melted butter and buttermilk in small bowl until combined. Add butter/buttermilk mixture to potatoes; using rubber spatula, fold gently until just incorporated. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper; serve immediately.