This recipe won a macaroni and cheese recipe contest sponsored by Tillamook cheese. There's a bit of work involved, but it sure sounds like it'd be worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for coating macaroni)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 cups medium cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup white medium cheddar, shredded
Cheddar Biscuit Topping
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Set buttermilk out at room temperature.
- 3Prepare pasta according to package directions, but cook for 2 minutes less than manufacturer's directions suggest. Drain pasta. Mix in 2 tablespoons butter with pasta and set aside.
- 4Place remaining 6 tablespoons butter, 2 cups of buttermilk, and ½ cup milk in saucepan and heat gently until butter is just melted. Using a wire whisk, mix in flour, salt, and pepper while stirring. Adjust to medium heat and seasonings. Continue heating and stirring until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and add 3 cups medium cheddar cheese and 1 cup white medium cheddar Cheese. Mix until cheese melts slightly. Add pasta. Pour into greased 9”x13" baking pan.
- 5In small bowl mix biscuit mix, 1/2 cup buttermilk, and 1/2 cup medium cheddar cheese. Drop biscuit mix by small teaspoons on top of macaroni. Bake until golden brown on top - 15-20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Macaroni and Cheese With Cheddar Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.8
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 68.1 mg
- Sodium 644.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 16.2 g