Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 hrs
If you are a buttermilk lover, this is the recipe for you! Delicious and refreshing on a hot summers day!
- 1⁄2 gallon 1% low-fat milk (fresh milk)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk (fresh, live culture)
- In a clean pot heat the milk but do not boil.
- Then let cool to the touch, about 70°F.
- Mix some of the milk in the cup that contains the buttermilk;stir well.
- Then add this mixture to the milk in the pot, along with the salt; stir, but do not overdo it.
- Transfer to a glass jar or container and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sit in a warm place for about 14 hours; the time will vary depending on how long it takes to clabber and it can be as long as 24+ hours.
- Using a hand motorized blender, blend until you have just the right consistency/thickness.
- Put in the refrigerator and chill.
- Note: Since this is not a commercially made product and the process is not controlled (temperature sensors) -- it may not clabber correctly; There are many factors which might cause this; You need to use fresh Active Buttermilk Cultures (look on the container for live cultures and date), need fresh Milk, clean utensils (pot, jars) and most importantly the correct room temperature (70°F) while it sits and clabbers; Also, try not to disturb it and put the jar or container in a low light, dark area too.
I absolutely love this recipe!! I make it pretty much weekly now, and what a savings!! I find I can use the recipe as starter for the next batch, although I may need to let it sit a bit longer the next time but it still works. Thanks for a great recipe!!