Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This homemade cake takes some time but is well worth the effort!
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Beat shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- In a small bowl mix flour, salt, and baking soda.
- At low speed, beat flour mixture and buttermilk into the shortening mixture, alternating between the two, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat the batter for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add vanilla and stir well.
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans. Divide cake batter evenly between the 3 pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick poked into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire racks.
- Once cake is cooled, bring 3 cups of sugar, whipping cream, butter, and 3/4 teaspoons baking soda to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup sugar into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is completely melted, syrupy, and golden brown.
- Gradually pour into warm cream mixture and stir until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat with an electric mixer at high speed for 8-10 minutes, until thick and spreadable.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.