Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This homemade cake takes some time but is well worth the effort!
Make and share this Buttermilk Layer Cake With Caramel Candy Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- Beat shortening in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- In a small bowl mix flour, salt, and baking soda.
- At low speed, beat flour mixture and buttermilk into the shortening mixture, alternating between the two, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat the batter for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add vanilla and stir well.
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans. Divide cake batter evenly between the 3 pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden pick poked into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire racks.
- Once cake is cooled, bring 3 cups of sugar, whipping cream, butter, and 3/4 teaspoons baking soda to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup sugar into a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is completely melted, syrupy, and golden brown.
- Gradually pour into warm cream mixture and stir until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat with an electric mixer at high speed for 8-10 minutes, until thick and spreadable.
- Spread frosting between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.