Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very moist and tasty.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- fresh apples, slices or blueberries or choice fruit
- Mix together sugars, flour, salt, nutmeg, and oil.
- Take out 1/2 cup of this mixture and stir in cinnamon.
- Set aside for topping.
- To remaining mixture, add well beaten egg, buttermilk, and soda.
- Pour into greased 10x15 inch greased jelly-roll pan.
- Spread with fruit to lightly cover sheet.
- Sprinkle reserved topping over evenly.
- Bake 325 degrees F.
- for 30 minutes.
I used thinly sliced apples that I had sauteed with butter and cinnamon instead of fresh apples, so I omitted the cinnamon from the recipe. This was very simple to put together and the jelly roll pan made it a perfectly balanced cake to fruit dessert. It stayed good and moist for 3 days. I needed 15 more minutes of bake time than specified, but it may have been the way that I did the apples. It would be great with vanilla ice cream.
This was wonderful. I made it in a 9x13 in glass pan so it took about 15-20 minutes longer. Next time I am definitely top it with Cool Whip.