Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
We made these to use up some buttermilk and they are really good! Recipe source: The Finnish Cookbook
- In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in the water.
- Stir in next 7 ingredients (buttermilk - butter).
- Stir in flour gradually, beating well until a stiff dough is reached.
- Turn dough out on a floured board and knead until smooth.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turn to grease top. Cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until doubled (1 hour).
- Turn dough out onto the floured board and shape until two loaves (2 inches in diameter and 10 inches long) and place on a greased baking sheet. Let rise again for 15-30 minutes or until doubled.
- Brush loaves with milk.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven (which has been turned off) and toast until golden on both sides.
- Cut into pieces (about 3 dozen total rusks).