Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an enriched version on an Emeril recipe for buttermilk ice milk. Prep time does not include time for custard to chill or for ice cream to hard freeze.
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small glass or plastic bowl, whisk lemon juice into beaten egg yolks, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine buttermilk, heavy cream, sugar, lemon zest, and salt, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to heat, stirring regularly, until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and vigorously whisk 1 cup of cream mixture into egg mixture to temper.
- Return pan to heat, and slowly pour the egg mixture into cream mixture, again whisking vigorously.
- Bring to a boil, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl, press plastic wrap down onto surface to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate overnight.
- Stir chilled mixture, transfer to ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturers directions.
- Transfer ice cream to a covered container, and freeze for 4-6 hours.
This ice cream is so sour! I just couldn't even eat it.