Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
An Old South treat!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Bring cream to a simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk hot cream into yolk mixture.
- Return mixture to saucepan and stir constantly over medium heat until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes (do not boil).
- Pour custard through fine strainer into clean bowl. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in buttermilk, creme fraiche, lemon juice, and salt. Chill custard until cold.
- Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer ice cream to containers; cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Let soften slightly at room temperature before serving.