Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
As with many kitchens, a common pantry staple is the potato. According to Wikipedia, "there are close to 4000 different varieties of the potato" which probably explains the multitudes of dishes that can be created with this ingredient. One such dish is the ever popular mashed potato which is enjoyed regularly by many families around the world. Whenever I am making a mashed potato dish, I always think about how it will work with the main dish. This particular version of mashed potatoes goes well with Roast Beef, Steak and one of my favorites Short Ribs.
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 ounce fresh chives
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Peel and slice potatoes into chunks.
- In large pot, add potatoes and cover with water.
- Place pot on medium heat cooktop and bring to boil.
- Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain water thoroughly and return potatoes to same pot. Add butter and begin mashing. Add buttermilk, salt, pepper and chives.
- Mash until you are happy with consistency.
These were great! I added a pat of butter to the potatoes after I put them in the serving dish and they were fabulous. Made for My-3-Chefs-June 2012.
We enjoyed these delicious mashed potatoes along with our dinner tonight. I really like the slightly tart flavor that the buttermilk imparts to the potatoes. Will definitely make this dish again.