Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my Grandma's recipe. It tastes so yummy and you can take away or add any fruits that you care to. Really good...great to have for family potlucks, etc.
- 1 (6 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (11 ounce) can fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- Combine vanilla pudding and buttermilk; mix well.
- Add all of the fruits and Cool Whip.
- Most all fruits taste good in this, so add whatever fits your personal preferences.
- Also good with mini-marshmallows.
- Mix all ingredients together and chill for at least an hour.
- I prefer to make the night before.
- If you are making for a large crowd, recipe doubles very easily!
I lost a recipe very similar to this one, so I was thrilled to find this! My original clipping called for 1 large can of pineapple tidbits and 1 large can of mandarin oranges -- both drained well. No coconut or fruit cocktail. It's excellent. Light and fluffy. And with sugar-free pudding and low-fat cool whip, it's low calorie. My original also recommended chilling 6 hours or overnight to get to the right consistency.
This would have been really good except DRAIN the pineapple. Waaay to runny. Too bad this was a very important step, because it ruined my salad. This is really good otherwise, just be sure like I said to drain all the fruit.
I would suggest calling this Buttermilk Fruit Salad, as more people looking for fruit desserts might find it. =)