1/1 Photo of Buttermilk French Toast With Homemade Cinnamon - Raisin Bread
A new twist on the classic French toast, using buttermilk for a bit of extra "oomph"! For a chef's treat (which was my favourite part growing up) pour the leftover egg mixture into the pan and cook until crispy on the bottom and set on the top like an omelette. Serve alongside the French toast (with Small-Batch Blueberry Butter or maple syrup, of course!).
My Private Note
adult p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 double-thick slices whole grain cinnamon raisin bread (Sister's Sweet Cinnamon - Swirl Bread is ideal)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (or 2 tbsp low-fat plain yogurt tbsp 1% milk)
- 3 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, for cooking
- 1On the lowest setting of your toaster, toast the slices of bread until just slightly "blonde" in colour and dry on the surface. Set aside.
- 2In a shallow dish, whisk together the vanilla, cinnamon and brown sugar to evenly distribute the cinnamon.
- 3Add the buttermilk and eggs and whisk to combine.
- 4Place a large frying pan (we use non-stick but cast iron would be awesome) over medium heat and add 1 tbsp of the butter.
- 5Two slices at a time, dip the toasted bread into the egg mixture and allow them to soak about 30 seconds on each side.
- 6When the pan is hot, add the soaked slices and cook for 5 minutes per side.
- 7Repeat with remaining bread, egg mixture and butter.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk French Toast With Homemade Cinnamon - Raisin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (177 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.4
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 404.8 mg
- Sodium 287.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cinnamon raisin bread