Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
It doesn't take long for a platter of these doughnuts to vanish.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 1⁄2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- oil, for deep-fat frying
- additional sugar (optional) or cinnamon sugar (optional) or confectioners' sugar (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Add butter and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Roll in additional sugar if desired.