Recipe by Debra Stuart
Good with glazed powdered sugar or plain. Dunk into coffee and enjoy.
Top Review by al8dan
I am giving a rating of only three stars because the directions are incomplete. I am an experienced cook so I was able to modify it to come out tasting good. However a novice cook would have trouble with it. I suggest that when you come to the direction to add "the rest of the flour add only enough to make a very soft dough. Turn out on to the counter and knead in enough additional flour to make a soft but not sticky dough. Keep flouring the counter to keep the cut out doughnuts from sticking to the counter top. Hope this helps Cheers.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- oil (for fryer or kettle)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil 3-4 inches to 375F degrees in deep fryer or kettle.
- Add the ingredients into large bowl.
- Blend 1/2 minute at low speed.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in remaining flour.
- Turn dough on a flour surface.
- With 3/8" thick cut with floured doughnut cutter.
- Put into hot oil until done.