Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the Best of Sunset Low-Fat Cook Book. Baked in a ring mold this coffeecake even looks like a big doughnut! Serve with a tangy Orange Syrup, recipe included.
FOR THE COFFEECAKE
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
FOR THE ORANGE SYRUP
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- powdered sugar
- Sift together the first five ingredients in a large bowl. In a small bowl beat the next four ingredients until well blended. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened. Batter will be stiff. Spread batter evenly in an oiled 4-cup metal ring mold and bake in a 375° oven until browned, about 20 minutes.
- MEANWHILE: Prepare orange syrup by combining the juice and sugar and bringing to a boil over med-hi heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
- BACK AT THE RANCH:
- Remove cake from oven and while still in the pan use a long skewer to pierce holes all the way through to the bottom of the pan at 1/2-inch intervals. Immediately spoon the orange syrup onto cake, letting it soak completely between additions. Let stand for about 15 minutes then invert cake onto a platter. Sift powdered sugar onto cake.
This is not what I expected. It made a very small cake and despite 2tsps of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of baking soda it didn't rise very much. It almost looked like bread or scone texture when it came out of the oven. The orange sauce, althoughy good, didn't soak in very well, even with the holes. The texture of the cake was ok. It appeared that it would be much harder, but on tasting it , it was a good texture, just not too attractive. I love trying new coffeecake recipes, but I have so many that are better, that I probably won't make it again. My son said was just ok. Sorry
ABSOLUTELY GREAT COFFEECAKE! We really enjoyed this simple cake with it's orange flavor! I did make one addition, though, when I topped it with a sparce sprinkling of finely minced orange zest! This is certainly a keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Beverage Tag]
This is fabulous! I had 4 very happy kids at breakfast when I served this. Even the one that normally doesn't like orange juice enjoyed this. The cake soaked the syrup up quite well, plus some extra on the plates. I don't have a large bundt pan, so I used my mini bundt pans. I had the perfect amount for 6 little cakes. I like that the cake isn't overly sweet on it's own. I will be making this again, and hopefully have them around long enough to be able to get a picture next time :) Made and Reviewed for New Kids on The Block Tag - Thanks! :)