Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful Dinner Roll recipe that we use for holidays and special occasions. Much better than store bought! I have copied it from a since not remembered cookbook and kept using it for years. We can't get through the holidays without it!
- 2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk, heated to lukewarm
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve yeast, honey and buttermilk by stirring together.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Mix in 2 cups flour, baking soda and salt. Beat well, cover. (Hint- put saran wrap directly over dough and then cover with towel.)
- Place near warm area such as heated oven and let rise 2 inches up the bowl. (Approximately 25 minutes.).
- Stir down, then add enough flour to make soft dough, attempting to get in the remaining 3 cups. Start by stirring the flour in, then try kneading as much of the remaining flour in as possible.
- Lightly oil a clean bowl and place dough into it. Cover, place in warm place and let rise until doubled. (Approximately 30 minutes.).
- Punch down.
- Divide into 24 pieces. Form into well-rounded smooth balls.
- Place 1 inch apart in oiled pan.
- Cover, place in warm place and let rise until doubled. (Approximately 30 minutes.).
- Bake for 20 minutes in pre-heated 400 degree oven.
- For softer, even better rolls, butter top of rolls after removing from oven.
I chose this recipe because I had a suspicion that the bad experience of the previous reviewer was from user error or bad ingredients. I was right... I made these into rolls and even skipped most of the raising because I ran out of time. They still rose well in the oven and I used half the dough the next morning for cinnamon rolls. Yummy! Sorry I couldn't give 5 stars... see my ratings on my page. If half-stars were available hubby's vote was for 4.5 stars.
This recipe didn't work for me. I followed the directions, but I wasn't able to get even 4 cups of flour mixed in, let alone 5. They didn't rise well and the taste was dissappointing. I wouldn't make these again. calgary cook