1/1 Photo of Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake With Freshly Squeezed Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
HOUSEMANAGER (Charlene)'s Note:
This is my all-time favorite devils food chocolate cake. Inspired by Anne Byrn the Cake Mix Doctor I have become quite a fan of jazzing up cake mix. I have a host of decadent frostings for all my cakes, but let me entice you here to try this deep rich chocolate cake adorned with freshly squeezed orange cream cheese frosting. You're going to love this super easy cake. This is definitely one of my personal favorites!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable shortening, for greasing the pans
- flour, for dusting the pans
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package pudding enhanced devil's food cake mix
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1PREHEAT oven to 350F; Generously grease two 9 inch round cake pans with solid vegetable shortening, then dust with flour, shake out the excess flour; Set aside.
- 2COMBINE the cake mix, cocoa powder, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl; Blend with an electric mixer until the batter is thick and smooth; Pour into prepared pans.
- 3BAKE the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, approximately 35 minutes; Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 30 minutes more and then slip both cakes out of the pans into your freezer; (Frozen cakes are much easier to frost.) Now you can prepare the frosting.
- 4COMBINE cream cheese and butter with your electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, stop the machine; Add the confectioners’ sugar; Continue to blend on low until the sugar is well combined; Add the orange juice and zest, Increase the speed and beat until frosting is light and fluffy; Use at once to frost cake.
- 5STORE frosted cake in fridge.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Devil's Food Cake With Freshly Squeezed Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.9
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 88.7 mg
- Sodium 531.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 48.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g