Recipe by cookiedog
I made these for my niece Zoey's birthday picnic. She loved them because she likes to lick off all the icing. It does make a lot of icing so you may want to reduce it. My frosting came out kind of rosie colored because I used raspberry swirled chocolate chips. Recipe is from Down Home with the Neelys.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together onto a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, yolks and sugar together. Add the melted butter, vanilla and buttermilk to the mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients gradually into the batter. Mix until smooth. It will appear light and fluffy.
- Ladle and divide the batter evenly among muffin cups and bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick tester comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before frosting.
- For the frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add confectioners' sugar slowly, while mixing in melted chocolate and vanilla extract.