Prep 18 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are my sister-in-law's favorite "plain" muffin and can put bakery corn muffins to shame! Cut them in half, toast them lightly, and spread with honey butter. Bite and smile:)
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Have ready 12 greased and or paper-lined muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk and cornmeal; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg and melted butter; add the cornmeal mixture and mix well.
- Add to the flour mixture just until combined; do not overmix.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 cup full; bake 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Have made these several times, the 2nd time using mostly whole wheat flour, used only 1/4 c. sugar, substituted 1/4 c. olive oil for the melted butter. Worked fine for us! Very easy to make too.
I recently made these tonight according to the recipes directions and lined the muffin tin with paper muffin cups and cooked them at the oven temp listed after 15 minutes they still weren't baked all the way through so I added an additional 5 minutes bringing them to a total baking time of 20 minutes at 400 degrees the texture was alright and the muffins were moist . soaking the cornmeal in the butter milk does make a difference in the way they turn out so its important to be sure to soak the cornmeal in the butter milk that results in a moist and tender muffin
Excellent! I reduced both butter and sugar to 1/4 c. I also mixed the ingredients on my usual way for cornbread--all dry ingredients combined in a large bowl, all wet stuff whisked together in a large measuring cup, then add wet to dry and stir to combine. Went together fast and had a great texture and flavor.