Recipe by Steve_G
Sweet Northern Style Corn Bread
Top Review by Bev
I thought I would take a walk on the Wild Side and see how those Yankees were fixin' their cornbread ;) Well, I have to tell you, I was very pleasantly surprised!! Delicious texture with just the right amount of sweetness! The only substitution I made was using salted butter instead of unsalted. Otherwise, followed your directions to the letter. It was so easy preparing this in the food processor! I will definitely make this recipe again!
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butter bottom and sides of a 10 inch cast iron skillet or 9x9 inch baking pan.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a food processor.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Beat buttermilk, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.
- Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and process until just blended.
- Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until golden on top and tester comes out clean when inserted into center.
- Cool in pan on rack.