Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Bread, Cornbread, Buttermilk, Southern, Regional This is a special recipe for those who crave southern home cooking recipes. It has a tart flavor and disappears fast when served with chili or any bean soups. Best results achieved when baked in a cast iron skillet!
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- BUTTER 10-12" cast iron skillet.
- Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Pour in skillet and bake 45 minutes.
- Yum! Yum!
We really enjoyed this cornbread with lots of butter. I split the recipe and did half in a skillet as recommended and half as muffins. The muffins were not our favourite part - definitely keep with the recipe as written.