Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- Melt shortening in a large (approximately 12 inches) iron skillet in a 350 degree oven until melted and very hot.
- While the shortening is heating you can begin to prepare the cornbread batter.
- In a large bowl combine the meal, egg and buttermilk and mix only to combine ingredients some lumps left is best.
- When the shortening is hot, roll it around in the pan to keep the cornbread from sticking and pour the remaining shortening (leave about a teaspoon in the pan) into your batter and mix together.
- Pour batter into pan and cook in oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
PERFECT! TRUE Southern cornbread! White cornmeal, not yellow. Always used a self rising cornmeal mix, so no baking powder, soda, or salt has to be added. NEVER any sugar! The seasoned iron skillet makes the crispiest outside crust while the inside stays moist! Thanks for posting a cornbread just like my Mom's!