Recipe by Ron & Joyce Ripple Sr.
This is in the latest issue of Southern Living (love this magazine) and was contributed by Mary Lynn Hanily of Tuscaloosa, AL. Buttermilk Cornbread
Top Review by Brenda5
This is a delicious traditional cornbread. It is not crumbly or sweet. I got about 4 servings from this recipe. I did not have buttermilk on hand, so I put a tsp. of lemon juice in 1 cup of milk and it worked just fine. Thanks for this one.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat oil in an 8" cast iron skillet or muffin pans for 5 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Stir together buttermilk and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour into the hot skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.