This is in the latest issue of Southern Living (love this magazine) and was contributed by Mary Lynn Hanily of Tuscaloosa, AL. Buttermilk Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat oil in an 8" cast iron skillet or muffin pans for 5 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Stir together buttermilk and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Pour into the hot skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.