Prep time does not include making the pie crust. This pie can also be made using all white sugar. You have enough filling to bake two 8-inch pies instead of one 10-inch deep dish pie if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 inch) deep dish pie shells
- 2 cups soft flaked coconut (coarsley chopped)
- 1/2 cup melted butter (no subs!)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup full-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- 1Set oven to 325 degrees (oven rack to bottom position).
- 2Toast the coconut on a baking sheet until golden brown (about 6-8 minutes) stirring a few times; set aside.
- 3Fit the unbaked pie pastry into a 10-inch deep dish glass pie plate, then flute edges as desired; cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- 4In a bowl beat the melted butter with both sugars and flour on medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes).
- 5Add in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- 6Add/stir in the toasted coconut and chocolate chips.
- 7Transfer the mixture into prepared pie shell/s.
- 8Place the pie/s onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- 9Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until JUST set and the crust is baked until light golden brown (you might have to cover the pie top loosley with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent the filling and crust from over browning).
- 10Cool and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk-Coconut Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4652.4
- Calories from Fat 2313
- Total Fat 257.0 g
- Saturated Fat 152.0 g
- Cholesterol 1094.9 mg
- Sodium 2409.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 573.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.1 g
- Sugars 475.7 g
- Protein 49.8 g