Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found in the Dallas Morning News for great ways to use eggs. It is delicious and easy.
- 2 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts, unbaked (do not use deep dish)
- 1 large egg
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 300°F Prick the frozen pie shells all over with a fork and partially bake the shells for about 8 minutes, until they start to puff slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the egg, yolks, sugars, salt, buttermilk, cream and butter in a stainless-stell mixing bowl. Set the mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water. Whisk the mixture constantly, until no yello streaks remain and the mixture is shiny and warm to the touch, about 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in the coconut and pour the filling into the crusts. Bake until golden and firm, 50 to 65 minutes. Makes 2 pies, with 12 to 16 servings total.
Fabulous pie! I clipped this one from the paper too and made it today to take to a Mother's Day dinner. The pie plate was literally scraped clean. One word of caution - the measurements are for a single pie. You will have to double them for two pies.