1/2 Photos of Buttermilk-Coconut Cake
This is a luscious cake recipe I found in a recipe collection of Midwest cooks. I definitely ate more than my share!
My Private Note
two lay ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1Grease and flour two 8-inch or 9-inch round baking pans.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°.
- 3In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- 4In another bowl, beat the shortening and butter with mixer for about 30 seconds, or until softened.
- 5Add the sugar and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
- 6Add sugar and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
- 7Add the egg whites and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- 8Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating on low speed after each addition just until mixture is combined.
- 9Put in prepared pans and bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until done when tested with toothpick.
- 10Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- 11Remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
- 12For frosting: In small bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until light.
- 13Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well.
- 14Beat in milk and vanilla.
- 15Gradually beat in 3 3/4 to 4 cups more powdered sugar until frosting is right consistency for spreading (makes 3 cups frosting) Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides.
- 16Sprinkle top and sides with coconut.
- 17Note: If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute by combining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and enough milk to make 1 cup.
- 18Let stand for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk-Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.4
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 32.2 mg
- Sodium 217.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 104.8 g
- Protein 4.8 g