Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is a luscious cake recipe I found in a recipe collection of Midwest cooks. I definitely ate more than my share!
Top Review by kay52178
This was ok. It stuck to the pan quite a bit and didn't rise as much as I would have liked. I also used the butter instead of shortening. I did like the frosting recipe. It even crusted a bit to help in smoothing but I found you I needed to stick the coconut on right away because after it crusted it wouldn't stay on.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 7 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour two 8-inch or 9-inch round baking pans.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, beat the shortening and butter with mixer for about 30 seconds, or until softened.
- Add the sugar and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg whites and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating on low speed after each addition just until mixture is combined.
- Put in prepared pans and bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until done when tested with toothpick.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In small bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until light.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well.
- Beat in milk and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in 3 3/4 to 4 cups more powdered sugar until frosting is right consistency for spreading (makes 3 cups frosting) Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides.
- Sprinkle top and sides with coconut.
- Note: If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute by combining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and enough milk to make 1 cup.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.