Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Mix together in a large bowl the flour, salt, l teaspoons cinnamon, ginger, both sugars, and corn oil.
- Remove 3/4 cup of this mixture, and to it add the nuts and the remaining l teaspoons cinnamon.
- Mix well, and set aside to use as a topping.
- To the remaining batter, add the baking soda, baking powder, egg and buttermilk.
- Mix to combine all ingredients. Small lumps in the batter are okay.
- Pour the batter into a well greased 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the surface.
- Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes.
This easy but delicious coffee cake has been a treat for my family since it was published in Louisiana Cookin'. Thanks for sharing it! I had lost the issue and my scrap of paper where I had saved it was ragged. Now I can find it whenever we want this special treat!
This is a five-star cake all the way! I have been making this one for several years and it never fails to turn out beautifully, both in looks and taste. Plus it's fairly quick to mix up and bake. This is a great recipe; I was glad to find it here on 'zaar!
This is a very delicious coffee cake. Quick and easy to make. Thanks for posting.