Top Review by Librarybaker
This easy but delicious coffee cake has been a treat for my family since it was published in Louisiana Cookin'. Thanks for sharing it! I had lost the issue and my scrap of paper where I had saved it was ragged. Now I can find it whenever we want this special treat!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Mix together in a large bowl the flour, salt, l teaspoons cinnamon, ginger, both sugars, and corn oil.
- Remove 3/4 cup of this mixture, and to it add the nuts and the remaining l teaspoons cinnamon.
- Mix well, and set aside to use as a topping.
- To the remaining batter, add the baking soda, baking powder, egg and buttermilk.
- Mix to combine all ingredients. Small lumps in the batter are okay.
- Pour the batter into a well greased 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over the surface.
- Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes.