Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was developed by my 80 year old German grandfather in his days as a chef at a family restaurant. We make these cookies every year as part of our holiday tradition, and usually have many to give away.
- Mix together before starting: buttermilk and baking soda. Mixture will foam up, so put it in a medium sized bowl or measuring cup.
- Mix sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs. Then sour cream, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- Alternate buttermilk mixture and flour until well incorporated.
- Refrigerate dough overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cut shapes into the dough with cookie cutters of your choice.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone lining. Bake cookies for 9 - 10 minutes or until lightly done.