1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was developed by my 80 year old German grandfather in his days as a chef at a family restaurant. We make these cookies every year as part of our holiday tradition, and usually have many to give away.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together before starting: buttermilk and baking soda. Mixture will foam up, so put it in a medium sized bowl or measuring cup.
- 2Mix sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add eggs. Then sour cream, nutmeg, and baking powder.
- 3Alternate buttermilk mixture and flour until well incorporated.
- 4Refrigerate dough overnight.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cut shapes into the dough with cookie cutters of your choice.
- 7Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone lining. Bake cookies for 9 - 10 minutes or until lightly done.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Christmas Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5396.1
- Calories from Fat 2187
- Total Fat 243.1 g
- Saturated Fat 68.7 g
- Cholesterol 431.8 mg
- Sodium 2233.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 735.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.4 g
- Sugars 305.6 g
- Protein 73.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: