Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the Cool Cafe.
Make and share this Buttermilk Chive Mashed Potatoes With Peas and Caramelized Onion recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (or more)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh English peas or 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup chopped chives, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saute pan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring often, about 20 minutes or until golden
- Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large, even pieces.
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes until soft when tested with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Force the potatoes through a ricer if you have one.
- If not, use a mixer or hand masher to mash the potatoes.
- Add the caramelized onions and buttermilk and beat until light and fluffy, (You can use a little more buttermilk if necessary to bring about the desired consistency.)
- Stir in the peas and half the chives.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a large bowl sprinkled with the remaining chives.