This is from Everyday Food. Notice how you can prepare the chicken in its marinade the day before and that you reserve a 1/2 cup of the buttermilk mixture.
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 garlic clove, pressed through a garlic press
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 2 (6 -8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 romaine lettuce, heads cut into pieces (1 1/2# total)
- 1⁄2 small radicchio, thinly sliced
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, lemon juice, garlic, and Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in a resealable plastic bag; reserving 1/2 cup for salad, add the rest of the buttermilk mixture to bag.
- Refrigerate chicken at least 15 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Meanwhile, make croutons by placing bread on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Broil until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side; cut into 1 inch pieces (and reserve baking sheet).
- Transfer chicken to baking sheet; discard marinade.
- Broil until opaque throughout, 14 to 16 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes; thinly slice crosswise.
- In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise and the reserved 1/2 cup of buttermilk mixture.
- Add romaine, radicchio, chicken, and croutons; toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.