Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve warm with tea or coffee
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk (chilled)
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup local wildflower honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup light margarine (cold and cut into bits)
- 3⁄4 cup dried sour cherries
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, egg whites, honey, vanilla & almond extracts.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Blend in cold butter.
- Fold in cherries and buttermilk mixture with a rubber spatula until consistent and workable by hand.
- Knead sticky dough gently 30 seconds on floured surface.
- Form into 3/4-inch-thick round. Use floured sharp knife to cut into 8 wedges.
- Arrange on ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush with 1/4 cup buttermilk and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake 18 minutes, turn off heat, and allow to rest in oven 5 minutes until golden.