Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I needed bread and wanted to use what I had at home. This is what I came up with. It came out of the oven with a crackly, blistered crust and a great light texture. Excellent with soup or for sandwiches.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- Place ingredients in bread machine pan in recommended order and set on dough cycle.
- Check consistency of dough and add additional water or flour, if necessary.
- At end of cycle, remove, shape, and let rise until approximately doubled. Bake in preheated 350 deg. oven. for app. 30 to 40 minute.
I made this wonderful bread on my KA stand mixer with some amount adjustments, I also added in some garlic powder and used 1 cup buttermilk with 1 cup water and omitted the buttermilk powder, turned out wonderful, thanks duonyte!
Delicious! I bet this would taste great even without the cheese.
Nice crunchy crust and beautiful, tender, even crumb. Just what I like in a sandwich bread. I baked this for 20 minutes in a loaf pan, then finished directly on the oven rack to get all of the crust golden and delicious. I had to add about a tablespoon of water to the dough, but it's a warm day here, and climate always changes the amount of liquid needed. I like the hint of tanginess that the buttermilk and pepper provide, it's not what you expect when looking at the loaf. I'm going to try this toast with cheese on top as well, I think it will be perfect for that application! Thanks for posting!