Meri Beth's Note:
This is a recipe I found online many years ago from a source I can't recall. I don't personally care for cream cheese icing, so this cake has only a glaze coating. I usually make two batches of the glaze and use it as the only icing. Everyone loves it! Super moist and a different type of carrot cake than most expect. Even better cold the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs, Beaten to Blend
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups carrots, Peeled and Finely Shredded
- 1 cup walnuts, Chopped (I usually substitute Pecans)
- buttermilk glaze
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, Melted
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Combine first five ingredients in medium bowl.
- 3Stir together buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla in large bowl.
- 4Add dry ingredients and stir until well blended.
- 5Mix in carrots and walnuts.
- 6Pour batter into 9x13 glass oven proof baking dish. I also use 9 inch square cake pans with good luck.
- 7Bake 45 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- 8Cool then drizzle with hot buttermilk glaze.
- 9Buttermilk Glaze Instructions:.
- 10Combine first five ingredients in heavy medium sauce pan.
- 11Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- 12Boil until slightly thickened, about five minutes.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Stir in vanilla.
- 15Pour over cake immediately.
- 16Cool slightly before serving.
- 17Makes 1 1/4 cups glaze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Carrot Cake With Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 605.6
- Calories from Fat 266
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 81.2 mg
- Sodium 442.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 52.7 g
- Protein 8.2 g