Recipe by Marie
A delicious cake served with a warm buttery fresh lemon sauce poured over it. Garnish with fresh blueberries or strawberries.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 6 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 3 cups sifted self rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Using an electric mixer, cream shortening with 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- Blend in vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, blending just until smooth after each addition.
- Stir baking soda into the buttermilk.
- To the first mixture, add sifted flour alternately with buttermilk , blending well after each addition.
- In a glass or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites until frothy, then gradually beat in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar.
- Beat until egg whites form stiff peaks (this will take a few minutes).
- Fold egg white mixture gently into batter until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into a generously greased and floured 10" tube pan.
- Bake at 350° for 60 to 75 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool on rack; carefully remove pan and transfer to cake plate.
- For Lemon Sauce:.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, combine butter, sugar, water, beaten egg and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool before serving.