1/1 Photo of Buttermilk Cake With Blackberries
1 hr 15 mins
Simple, not too sweet, dessert that spotlights the lovely blackberries of summer. From Food and Wine magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar (plus 1 1/2 tbsp.)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups blackberries (plus more for serving)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9" round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Butter the paper.
- 2In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the butter with the 2/3 cup of sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla. At low speed, beat in the buttermilk and dry ingredients in 3 alternating batches, ending in the dry ingredients; do not overbeat. Gently fold the batter just until blended, then scrape into the pan and smooth the top.,.
- 3Scatter the 1 1/4 cups of blackberries over the batter; lightly press them inches Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar over the cake. Bake for about 30 minutes; until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 4Transfer the cake to a rack to cool for 10 minutes. Turn out the cake and remove the paper. Turn the cake right side up and let cool completely. Serve with whipped cream and more blackberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Cake With Blackberries
Serving Size: 1 (677 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1589.6
- Calories from Fat 486
- Total Fat 54.0 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 313.0 mg
- Sodium 1604.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 253.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 148.8 g
- Protein 26.2 g