- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a tube cake pan. The one I use has a removable bottom and a very large center hole.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Mix until just incorporated.
- Mix in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Stir lemon juice and lemon extract into the buttermilk. Mix into cake batter just until incorporated.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared tube cake pan, place pan on a half sheet covered with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
- While cake is cooking, mix together glaze ingredients.
- When one hour is up, slowly pour glaze over cake and return cake to the oven for three more minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and let sit for eight minutes. Then remove from pan.
- Serve at room temperature. It's best prepared several hours or even a day ahead.