Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is my favorite cake, and it is an old family recipe. The citrus glaze makes this cake moist and delicious.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a tube cake pan. The one I use has a removable bottom and a very large center hole.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Mix until just incorporated.
- Mix in dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Stir lemon juice and lemon extract into the buttermilk. Mix into cake batter just until incorporated.
- Pour cake batter into the prepared tube cake pan, place pan on a half sheet covered with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
- While cake is cooking, mix together glaze ingredients.
- When one hour is up, slowly pour glaze over cake and return cake to the oven for three more minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and let sit for eight minutes. Then remove from pan.
- Serve at room temperature. It's best prepared several hours or even a day ahead.
great cake....what is there left to say but this is a Great Cake !!!!!!
This was a tasty cake. I liked the way the glaze sunk into the cake, however I think I'd add some lemon zest to give it more flavour.
After looking at Annacia's photo, I was a little disappointed in the presentation of the cake. The cake itself was just wonderful, but when I added the glaze as per the instructions, instead of sitting on top like the photo, it sunk into the cake, which made the cake very moist and gave an appearance of not being done, which it was. Next time I will let the cake cook slightly, remove it from the pan, then add the glaze topping. I think that will work better for me.