For the Syrup
- 236.59 ml chopped rhubarb (thawed if frozen)
- 236.59 ml frozen pitted tart red pie cherries, thawed
- 236.59 ml chopped strawberry (thawed if frozen)
- 236.59 ml raspberries (thawed if frozen)
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 118.29 ml honey
- 118.29 ml light corn syrup
- 118.29 ml water
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
For the pancakes
- 177.44 ml buckwheat flour
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml milk
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, melted
- 44.37 ml honey
- butter (optional)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make syrup: combine rhubarb, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, sugar, honey, corn syrup, water and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir mixture over medium-low heat, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens and becomes syrupy.
- Watch that it doesn't boil over, because it will tend to foam.
- Do not overcook, as mixture thickens upon standing.
- If mixture becomes too thick, add water in small amounts after cooling syrup, stirring until smooth, and desired consistency is reached.
- To make pancakes: mix together buckwheat flour, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center and add milk, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and honey.
- Stir until blended but do not overmix (you should still be able to see some lumps).
- Pour batter 1/4 cup at a time onto hot oiled griddle, 2-3 at a time, allowing room to spread.
- Carefully turn pancakes with spatula when batter starts to bubble and becomes slightly porous.
- Cook briefly on the other side until pancakes become golden.
- Keep finished pancakes warm on a baking sheet in a low-temp oven.
- Serve pancakes spread with butter and syrup, and garnished with whipped cream (if desired).