1/5 Photos of Buttermilk Brownies
Cindy Lynn's Note:
Rich, tender, fudgy brownie that those chocolate lovers just can't resist. For a "mocha" experience, substitute coffee for the water. My family just can't help themselves, even when they're already "stuffed" when these are around.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup hershey cocoa powder (regular-type, dry)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water or 1 cup coffee
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Brownies: In saucepan combine butter, cocoa, 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water (first four ingredients).
- 2Bring to boil; stirring constantly.
- 3Remove from heat and set aside.
- 4In large mixing bowl, blend together flour, soda and salt.
- 5In small bowl combine buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; whisk lightly with a fork.
- 6Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients; mix until smooth.
- 7Add cocoa mixture gradually with mixer on low setting.
- 8Mix until well blended (flour and buttermilk mixture will be thick and likely need to be scraped from sides of bowl to blend thoroughly).
- 9Pour into greased 10 1/2 x 14 3/4 x 2 1/4 baking dish.
- 10Bake at 375 deg F for 25 minutes; test with toothpick.
- 11Immediately pour Frosting over brownies; spread evenly.
- 12(Brownies will be very tender so spread gently.) Cool; cut into bars and serve.
- 13Frosting: In saucepan, mix 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons buttermilk.
- 14Cook and stir till boiling (mixture will be slightly curdled); remove from heat.
- 15Beat in 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- 16Fold in English walnuts.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.8
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 54.9 mg
- Sodium 266.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 37.5 g
- Protein 3.5 g