Recipe by Bec
Beware with this recipe- There are a lot of errors in it, and apparently I am unable to delete it... only edit it. The recipe was from "Simply Delicious"- A cookbook made from Herberger's Employee Family Recipes. It was submitted by Rosemary Anderson of Billings, Montana. She noted that it is best to double the frosting recipe. However, the recipe was originally missing the sugar, baking soda, and salt in the ingredient list (but were mentioned in the directions) so I added them based on what I think would work. In addition, where to put in the 1 cup butter is not mentioned. I don't know why I posted this given these errors- It was decided that it may have had to do with it being the week I just got my wisdom teeth out! So please, use this recipe at your own risk. Thank you!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup water
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 eggs
- 5 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, combine cocoa and 1 cup water- Bring to a boil, stir constantly, then remove from heat.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add warm cocoa mixture to dry mixture; mix until blended.
- Pour only 1/2 of the mixture into a greased pan; set aside.
- For filling: soften cream cheese and margarine; beat together.
- Add sugar, eggs, flour and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Pour all cream mixture on top of brownie mixture.
- Spoon on the remaining brownie batter.
- Pull a knife through the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes ONLY (even if it doesn't look done).
- For frosting: melt margarine in pan.
- Stir in cocoa until dissolved.
- Add powdered sugar, buttermilk and vanilla- Stir and frost.