Recipe by P4
I don't particularly care for white bread, but I do like this one. Very easy to make.
Top Review by starkrazi
This is a great recipe for white bread. It's very soft and holds its shape well when you cut slices. I could eat sandwiches 3 times a day if it had this bread!! I halved the recipe and used close to 3 cups of flour. I also didn't have enough buttermilk so i made some with whole milk and vinegar to equal the right amount. I used my kitchen aid mixer to knead the dough and it came out so nice and soft. I baked mine for about 25 minutes. i suggest you check it after 20 minutes.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (not instant!)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 -5 cups bread flour (can substitute all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the yeast and water in the bowl of your mixer and let proof for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the buttermilk and butter over low heat until the butter melts.
- The mixture will look badly curdled- don't worry, that's what happens when buttermilk is heated.
- It will be fine.
- Mix the salt, baking soda and sugar into 1 cup of the flour.
- Pour over the yeast, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Put the bowl on your mixer with the dough hook attachment, add another cup of flour and mix until the flour is incorporated.
- Keep adding flour until the dough comes together and is no longer sticky.
- Then let the dough knead in the machine 5-10 minutes.
- Take out of the bowl and finish kneading by hand until the dough is smooth.
- Turn into a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then a towel, and then let it sit to rise until doubled.
- Punch down the dough, divide and shape into 2 loaves, then place in greased loaf pans.
- Set aside for the second rising.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the loaves until done, about 30-45 minutes.