Recipe by MNgirl
This recipe is from a cookbook called The Bread Basket. This book promoted Fleischmann's yeast.
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 compressed yeast cakes
- 12 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald buttermilk,add sugar and salt;cool to lukewarm.Dissolve yeast in lukewarm buttermilk.Add half the flour and beat until smooth.Add melted shortening and remaining flour,or enough to make easily handled dough.
- Knead dough quickly and lightly until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl,cover and set in warm place,free from draft.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.When light,divide into 3 equal portions and shape into loaves.Place in greased bread pans.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk,about 1 hour.Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 15 minutes,then reduce heat to 375 degrees F and finish baking 35 minutes longer.