Recipe by Saguaro
These can be made with wheat bran, oat bran or a combination. I think they are best when made with half oat and half wheat bran. To make them a bit healthier, I usually cut the oil in half and sub applesauce or other fruit puree. I also now tend to use all whole wheat flour instead of the combination of all purpose and whole wheat. These are dark, moist, spicy muffins that remind me a bit of gingerbread. They are best served warm from the oven or reheated.
Top Review by DaMommyChef
Very nice muffin and quite delicious right out of the oven with a bit of spread (I use Smart Balance light). I did not include the raisins, as I have some lifelong raisin haters in the family. I also reduced the oil to 1/4 cup and used 1/4 canned pumpkin. I imagine you could also use baby food prunes or applesauce as well. Next time I make it I will add some salt (I think it needs maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. It might also be good with a bit less cinnamon and some giner to make it taste even more like ginerbread. Thanks for posting--I will make again. My kids gobbled them up!
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran, flakes (not breakfast cereal)
- 1 cup dried currants or 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F If using a dark,non-stick muffin tin, preheat to 400°F.
- Combine the bran, the currants and the wet ingredients through the vanilla in a bowl, stir well.
- Set aside for 20 minutes, or refrigerate up to overnight.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir in the bran mixture until barely combined.
- Spoon batter into well greased muffin tin (or use baking cups).
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on a rack.