1/7 Photos of Buttermilk Biscuits - Southern
Mrs Goodall's Note:
This recipe comes from "Baking" by Dorie Greenspan, a fabulous book. I have been doing a lot of research on flour and for biscuits the consensus is use White Lily flour. Unfortunately, it's not easy to find in the PNW, so here is a great compromise, cake and unbleached flour. Dorie also suggests using you hands to quickly incorporate the butter into the flour, the butter should end up coated and NOT uniform in size. The dough can be made, wrapped air-tight and frozen for up to 2 months. If you like a crisper edge, do not let the baking biscuits touch. If you like a softer edge on the biscuit, place the biscuits on the baking tray touching each other.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- 3Whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- 4Drop in butter and using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces with flour and cut and rub the butter into the flour mixture until it is pebbly with different sized pieces from very small to pea-size.
- 5Pour the buttermilk over the dry ingredients and toss gently with a fork and turn the ingredients until you have a nice soft dough.
- 6In the bowl, give the dough 3- 4 kneads to bring the dough together.
- 7Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough.
- 8Dust the top of the dough very lightly with flour and quickly pat the dough with your hands until it is about 1/2-inch high.
- 9Use a biscuit cutter to cut as many biscuits as you can.
- 10Re-roll remaining dough and cut more biscuits until dough is used up.
- 11Place biscuits on baking sheet.
- 12Bake the biscuits for 14- 18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Biscuits - Southern
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.8
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 31.7 mg
- Sodium 462.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 5.5 g