Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These quick, flavorful biscuits with a touch of cornmeal are perfect for Thanksgiving. Easily doubled, We enjoyed them thoroughly! Recipe by Bon Appetit Test Kitchen; this was in the November 2008 of Bon Appetit Magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion (use both the white & the green)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons crispy bacon, cooked (broken into medium size pieces) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- coarse sea salt
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425ºF
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine buttermilk and green onions in medium bowl.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper in large bowl to blend.
- Add 1/2 cup chilled butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir until moist clumps form.
- Add bacon pieces (if using).
- Gather dough together.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead gently just to combine, about 3 to 4 turns.
- Roll out to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Using floured 2-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out rounds.
- Reroll scraps and cut out additional rounds.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter.
- Sprinkle each lightly with coarse sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Bake biscuits until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.