These quick, flavorful biscuits with a touch of cornmeal are perfect for Thanksgiving. Easily doubled, We enjoyed them thoroughly! Recipe by Bon Appetit Test Kitchen; this was in the November 2008 of Bon Appetit Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion (use both the white & the green)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper, plus additional for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons crispy bacon, cooked (broken into medium size pieces) (optional)
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- coarse sea salt
- 1Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425ºF
- 2Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3Combine buttermilk and green onions in medium bowl.
- 4Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper in large bowl to blend.
- 5Add 1/2 cup chilled butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 6Add buttermilk mixture and stir until moist clumps form.
- 7Add bacon pieces (if using).
- 8Gather dough together.
- 9Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead gently just to combine, about 3 to 4 turns.
- 10Roll out to 3/4-inch thickness.
- 11Using floured 2-inch cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out rounds.
- 12Reroll scraps and cut out additional rounds.
- 13Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- 14Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter.
- 15Sprinkle each lightly with coarse sea salt and ground black pepper.
- 16Bake biscuits until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- 17Cool slightly.
- 18Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Buttermilk Biscuits, Green Onions, Black Pepper & Sea Salt
Serving Size: 1 (730 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 20.1 mg
- Sodium 249.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 2.7 g